I don’t watch Boardwalk Empire. I do love to see literature showcased in movies and on TV. The New York Public Library had this great blog post last week.The Bookshelves of Boardwalk Empire in which they talk about the various books that have made appearance on the show and that would have been on bookshelf during the early part of the 1900s.
First off I want to mentioned the book the show is based on, “Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City by Nelson Johnson.
Book Description from Amazon:
The NYPL list includes books seen in the first season and include The Holy Bible, The Road to Oz by L. Frank Baum, and The Ivory Tower by Henry James.
What else would be on the bookshelves of Boardwalk Empire?1916
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man / James Joyce1917
- A Princess of Mars/ Edgar Rice Burroughs (The first book in the John Carter series)1918
- The Marne / Edith Wharton1919
- Jungle Tales of Tarzan / Edgar Rice Burroughs1920
- The Age of Innocence / Edith Wharton
For the complete list view the NYPL blog post.