|“I am tolerably glad to hear that Edward’s income is so good a one –
as glad as I can at anybody’s being rich besides you & me –
& I am thoroughly rejoiced to hear of his present to you.”
– Jane to Cassandra, January 8, 1799
What we know:
- He was born on October 7, 1767 and he died on November 19, 1852
- He was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Knight II of Godmersham in 1783
- He married Elizabeth Bridges in December of 1791.
- He had eleven children.
- He owned three estates in Steventon, Chawton, and Godmersham.
- After the death of his father he moved his mother and sisters into Chawton Cottage
- After the death of Elizabeth his sisters were an integral part in the raising of his children.
For more reading:
Edward Austen Knight – Wikipedia article
Jane Austen’s Brothers – JaneAusten.co.uk
Edward Austen Knight: A tightwad or a man with heavy responsibilities? – Jane Austen’s World